Thursday, January 14, 2016

Mid January Slush and 10k Training

So a couple months ago I had the brilliant idea of running a race again.  With my best friend.  She's pretty in shape and runs a lot and I would like to be in shape for my wedding next year and for general well-fitting clothes.  So I texted her asking if we could run the 5/3 Bank race this spring.  She replied all excited and said that we should run a 10 k.  Yay right? It sounded like a good idea, but I haven't really aggressively ran since high school, which was almost 4 years ago….ugh I'm getting old.
But today, I began my official training program! I only ran 1.5 miles, but it was a big deal for me!  Now its just a matter of sticking with the training and hopefully I will be able to drag myself across the finish line.  After I stumbled and slid through the slowing melting snow-turned slush, I apparently had a lot of endorphins pumping in my veins because then I did a bunch of crunches and squats.  Walking up and down stairs is going to rough tomorrow.
I'm reading Shonda Rhimes' book right now (post coming soon) and she has a whole chapter about fitness.  Loosing weight is a daily struggle.  Eating healthy is important, and its important every day, not just on the days we are feeling ambitious.  Every time we make a decision about working out (or not) or putting something in our mouths, we are choosing to be healthy or choosing to live like the rest of America.  I think that eventually it will get better, but only after we form habits that will benefit us.  I love nutritious foods, however I'm a pastry girl at heart.  Put a place of wood-fired croissants in from of me, fresh from the oven (or let's face it even day-old ones) and they will be gone before I can even count them.  Learning how to treat myself in moderation with my favorite foods will be hard, but in the long run it will be very beneficial.  So here's to keeping out resolutions and eating only one croissant a week.  Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment